Monday, May 7, 2012

Welcome to the Farm!

Hi everyone! My name is Marla, and I am so excited to start this blog. I plan on writing not only about the life of a farmer's wife, but also share photos, recipes, crafts, funny stories, and whatever mishmash of things I can think of!

I wanted to start this blog because I love the life I live, but I don't always feel that people really get it or necessarily respect the hard work and sacrifices that go into it. I don't want this to be a place where I make everyone feel guilty for not living on a farm or make myself into a martyr because of the things I've given up. I just want it to be an uplifting and fun insight to what this life is all about.  Don't get me wrong, I don't always love being a "single mom" during planting and harvest, nor do I love it when my husband gets me out of bed at 2 am because he needs a part for the tractor.  However, I absolutely wouldn't trade this for anything and I'm so blessed to have what I do.

Because I often get sidetracked and go off on tangents, I thought I'd make my "About Me" a little easier on us all by questions you may ask!

1. Where are you from?
     I grew up in a rural town in Indiana with my wonderful parents and 2 older sisters (who abandoned me to live in Florida!) I love being the "baby" and loved growing up in the country.
My sisters and I at the lake in Minnesota. I'm the one on the left (yep, that's a gun!)

2. Why did you start this blog?
    Funny things happen all the time on the farm and I always want to share them with my family and friends. I also am so inspired by the amazing women I have come to know in the farming community and wanted to showcase their lives as well.

3.  How did you get involved in farming?
    My mom's family owns the oldest Angus cattle herd in Indiana. It was something that she and her three older sister shared with my grandpa.  I loved spending time there when I was little and my Mamoo still remembers me telling her when I was young that I was going to marry a farmer.  During high school I was very involved in our FFA chapter and then of course I went into the college of Ag at Purdue.  Between my freshman and sophomore year I worked at a historic farm at a state park where everything was done as it would have in the 1800's.  At this point I had experience with cattle, but not horses.  That summer was when I fell in love with the only breed of horse I will ever love: Belgians. I had so much experience that summer and because we had to do everything by horse or hand, I gained a huge respect for where food comes from and the hard work behind it. To this day, nothing is more relaxing than milking a cow, more exciting than pulling a calf, or more rewarding than shucking acres of sweet corn by hand.


4. Where did you go to school?
    I am a proud 3rd generation graduate of Purdue University. I went there to study Animal Science and after receiving my bachelors, I decided to go on to Vet Tech school.  I loved college and everything about it besides studying.  I miss the professors, classmates, sorority sisters, football games, and bars so much!
My parents and I at my graduation with my B.S. in Animal Science. Fun Fact: My mom and dad both studied Animal Science at Purdue...where they actually met was turned into an office where I later worked as an assistant to the Dean.

5. How did you meet your husband?
    I met Seth through two sisters that were in my sorority.  They lived just a few miles away from where Seth grew up and knew he would be a great match for me.  Seth was studying to be a surveyor and we hit it off pretty quickly over some delicious drinks at our favorite bar.  Over our years of dating I got more involved in the grain side of farming, and I love learning from my husband.

6. Where do we live and do we do anything besides farm?
   Seth and I are a very driven couple. In our one year engagment I finished school, we planned a wedding, survived a planting and harvest season without me giving back the ring, gutted out (to the studs) and renovated the bottom part of his grandma's old farmhouse in Kewanna, IN.  I also started my job as a vet tech at a clinic an hour south of where we live, and Seth started a job as a surveyor an hour north of where we live.  About 4 months after we got married, we found out I was pregnant, so we then gutted out the top level of the house and got ready for a baby! We both stay busy with our jobs, and I give Seth huge credit for working full time on top of operating the farm.  Thank goodness for family or else we would never have all the things we are so blessed with!

7. Do you have any animals?
   Yes! We have a one year old dog named Bristol (after the Nascar track in TN) and a lot of barn kitties.


8. What do you do for a social life when you live so far away from town?
   Our social life is pretty awesome, I have to say.  We have tractor pulls, county fairs, and various backyard parties to attend all summer long. Harvest is the best because everyone is out and about in the field and the driver of the combine always wants some company. We play a lot of Euchre and my favorite game ever, Dirty Dog!  Sand volleyball, weekends at the lake, and dinner at the Fulton Feedbag always make for good memories. Though all these things are good and well, the social highlight of our entire year revolves around lawnmower racing. It's amazing and if you haven't gone to one, please come! I promise you it will be a once in a lifetime experience!

I hope this gives you a little insight into who I am and about this blog!



1 comment:

  1. Marla, I just came across your blog! Love it, every word. Miss you!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete